Consumer packaged goods (CPG) careers can enrich professionally and personally. There are many different types of CPG careers, from working in a corporate setting to owning your own business. No matter what job you’re interested in, plenty of opportunities are available in the CPG industry.
When it comes to careers in the consumer packaged goods industry, a key account manager (KAM) is a role that can offer a lot of opportunities.
This blog will take a closer look at what a key account manager is, its responsibilities, and the requirements and skills required.
What is a key account manager?
A key account manager (KAM) is a professional who works with strategically important clients for an organization. The role of a KAM is to maintain and grow the relationship between the client and the organization. Key account managers are often responsible for managing multiple accounts and must be able to juggle the needs of each one.
The primary goal of a key account manager is to increase revenue and market share from existing clients. To do this, KAMs must develop a deep understanding of their client’s businesses and needs. They must also be able to identify opportunities for growth and work with the client to realize these opportunities.
Key account managers typically report to a senior sales executive. They may also work closely with other sales team members, such as account managers and sales engineers.
What are the job responsibilities of a key account manager?
The responsibilities of a key account manager include:
- A key account manager is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with a company’s most important clients.
- The role of a key account manager is to ensure that the client’s needs are met and that the client is satisfied with the products or services provided.
- A key account manager must understand the client’s business and objectives and align the company’s offerings to meet those needs.
- The key account manager is the primary point of contact for the client. They are responsible for communicating with all stakeholders within the company to ensure that the client’s needs are met.
- A key account manager must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and strong problem-solving and negotiation skills.
If you are interested in a career as a key account manager, be sure to check out our job postings!
What are the requirements and skills for a key account manager position?
Key account managers must have a bachelor’s degree in business administration, marketing, or a related field. Many companies also require key account managers to have a master’s degree in business administration (MBA) or a related field. Key account managers must also have several years of experience in sales, marketing, or related fields.
In addition to their formal education and experience, key account managers:
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Must also think strategically and be familiar with the sales process.
- Must be able to work independently and be self-motivated.
- Must also be able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
Managing your most valuable customers
To summarize, a key account manager is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with a company’s most important customers. They are typically in charge of a specific geographic region or product line. Key account managers are essential to the success of any business, as they are responsible for generating the majority of a company’s revenue.
If you are interested in pursuing a career in CPG sales, becoming a key account manager may be the right choice.