CPG Careers: What is a National Account Manager?
If you’re looking for a career in the consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry, you may have come across the role of national account manager (NAM). But what does this job entail? And is it the right fit for you?
This guide will give you an overview of what a NAM does and share tips on deciding if this is the right career move for you.
What Is a National Account Manager (NAM)?
A NAM is a professional who works with large retail accounts to help them grow their businesses and reach their goals. As a NAM, you will be responsible for:
- Developing relationships with key decision-makers.
- Providing account management and sales support.
- Working closely with other sales team members to ensure your accounts are successful.
Duties and Responsibilities of a NAM
As a NAM in the consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry, you will be responsible for managing and developing relationships with key customers. In this role, you will be the primary point of contact for your assigned accounts and will work closely with other sales team members to ensure that customer needs are met.
Skills and Qualifications Needed for the Role
To succeed in this role, you must meet a combination of the following skills and qualifications:
- You should have excellent commercial acumen and understand complex business models quickly.
- You need to be a strategic thinker who can develop long-term plans and see the big picture.
- You must be an outstanding communicator, written and verbal, with the ability to influence and persuade at all levels.
- You will need to be highly organized and with excellent project management skills.
If you have all of these skills and qualifications, then you could be the perfect candidate for the role of NAM in CPG.
How to Become a National Account Manager
As the name implies, national account managers are responsible for managing accounts nationally. They must be able to cultivate relationships with clients, understand their needs and wants, and ensure that they are receiving the best possible service. To become a national account manager, you must take a few steps.
- Obtain a bachelor’s degree. While you can certainly become a national account manager with a degree in any field, having a degree in business or marketing will be beneficial. This will give you the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in this role.
- Gain experience in sales. It is essential to have a strong understanding of the sales process as you will be responsible for managing client accounts. This experience can be gained through internships or entry-level jobs.
- Look for national account manager positions. Many companies will require that you have at least five years of experience in sales. However, if you have a strong track record and can show that you have the skills necessary to succeed in this role, you may be able to get a job with fewer years of experience.
When you are ready to apply for national account manager positions, ensure your resume is up-to-date and includes your most recent experience and education. You should also have a list of your skills and qualifications. To succeed in this role, it is crucial to demonstrate your ability to cultivate relationships, understand client needs, and provide excellent customer service.
We’re Here to Help You Grow Your Career
If you take the time to follow these steps, you can become a national account manager and help your company succeed nationally. With the right education and experience, you can build strong relationships with clients, provide them with the best possible service, and ensure that your company meets its goals.
Contact us today if you’re interested in a national account manager career or want to know more about this position. Our team is happy to answer any questions you may have and help you get started on your path to a successful career in CPG marketing.